Dear LFCSA community,
This has been an exciting year as we have been working towards growing our school to make it sustainable for all our current LFCSA families. This expansion will allow us to continue operating and providing our community with a unique, art-integrated education that focuses on the whole child.
We all have been eagerly awaiting news about our co-location site for our TK, K, and eventually 1st grade students. Thank you for your patience as we worked with the District through the Prop 39 application process.
We requested to have a campus as close to ours as possible, and in working with the District’s Prop 39 office, LAUSD Board Member, Dr. Ref Rodriguez’ office, and our legal counsel, we have received the District’s final offer for our co-location in the 2018-19 school year.
Albion Street Elementary
Although this co-location was not on our list of top choices, we are content to have a location that is not very far from the Media Center location, as some co-location schools have been as far as 10 miles from each other. Also, it is helpful that the commute between schools keeps us on the east side, and does not cross through downtown. We have included a map and some commute information to help you get a sense of the location and distance.
Distance between schools:
* The shortest route between our schools by car is 3.5 miles via San Fernando Road.
Typical travel times on weekdays by car:
* 7:30 a.m. & 2:30 p.m. is from 9-16 minutes
* 5:00 p.m. is from 10-18 minutes
* We do not anticipate large co-location challenges, as there was a charter school that was previously co-located there. It will not be a large change for Albion’s staff and community.
* Albion is located in LAUSD Board Member Monica Garcia’s District, who has been a strong charter supporter.
* We will have extra space for a studio.
* Our current lunch vendor does work in that area.
* Like our Media Center location, it is in Council District 1, represented by Gil Cedillo.
* The school site also houses an Early Childhood Center.
* The LFCSA Board of Directors must approve the shared use agreement prior to occupancy.
DO NOT contact the staff at Albion. The District has its own process for informing their schools.
We have scheduled general informational meetings for current and prospective families on
* Tuesday, 4/24 at 5:00 p.m.
* Wednesday, 4/25 at 8:00 a.m.
We anticipate having more information as we go through the process, and have received many questions from the community. We have compiled these questions in this Co-location q&A update
(Updated April 16th) and have attempted to answer as many as we can. We will continue to collect questions will update this document. Please submit your questions to https://goo.gl/forms/Hh0yhT6nIbsL3cjE2
Please know that some questions may take more time to answer than others, as they depend on our work with the District and the staff at Albion.
We look forward to working with our community to make this co-location as special as our current location!
Dr. Linda Lee